Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thoughts this Sunday

This Sunday I have been reading some more of the book on Mother Teresa Come be my Light.
I find it sad to think she lived much of her life not feeling the intimate presence of God. It reminded me of the Song of Solomon where the woman is longing for the beloved's presence. ...That would indeed be suffering---not to feel the presence and love of God!! Mother Teresa felt it was part of the suffering God was calling her to endure and that she was feeling a bit of what it was like for Christ suffering on the cross and being separated from God.

I am so glad for God's mercy to us that for most of us Christians he enables the comfort of His presence and the enabling of the feeling of his love. I love the passage in Eph 3:17-21--"so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fulness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen"

In our Sunday School today he mentioned a quote from J. Edwards--something about why sin is so sinful---that we are sinning against the infinite love of God so that even what we consider a small sin is so horrible and deserving of his wrath because we sin against the infinite love of God--and that when we understand this we then understand so much more about His great mercy, love, grace, etc that is ours through the blood of Christ---amen!! Bless His Holy Name.

ps. I have noticed in reading this book about Mother T.--she doesn't seem to read or know the word of God---at least it is not referred to in this first half of the book I have read--perhaps that was a great part of her problem.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read the book, but our pastor talked about it and told us about her having a feeling of not being close to God. I find this very sad as well. I don't understand why she felt that way. Our pastor did say that the people who put the book together took info from one of her journals and maybe that was just her sad journal or something? I don't know. But I am thankful that we can feel the presence of God every day!

    Blessings! Sharon

    ReplyDelete