Wednesday, May 20, 2009

God is weaving our individual stories

I found this to be a great way to look at my life and to look at hard times in my life. God is truly beautiful.

Paul Miller talks about the fact that God is weaving a story with our lives...We need to look for the Storyteller. Look for his hand and then pray in light of what you are seeing. Stay in the story. Don't shut down when it goes the wrong way.

Sometimes when we say "God is silent", what's really going on is that he hasn't told the story the way we wanted it told. He will be silent when we want him to fill in the blanks of the story we are creating. But with his own stories, the ones we live in, he is seldom silent".

"When confronted with suffering that won't go away or with even a minor problem, we instinctively focus on what is missing, such as the lost coats and the betrayal in Joseph's story, not on the Master's hand. Often when you think everything has gone wrong, it's just that you're in the middle of a story. If you watch the stories God is weaving in your life, you, like Joseph, will begin to see the patterns. You'll become a poet, sensitive to your Father's voice."

11 comments:

  1. thank you for leaving this with me today.

    i think i will read it again tomorrow to give me a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I have been praying for you --even as I woke up this morning....I like what Paul Miller says here:

    "If you wait, your heavenly Father will pick you up, carryou out into the night, and make your life sparkle. He wants to dazzle you with the wonder of his love."

    Ps--Paul Miller has an autistic child that can only speak using a computer--this book of His called, A Praying Life...is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this, thanks for sharing it!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent words here! And important to keep in mind in our view and experience.

    You drink too much coffee too, I see. I always try to make sure it's mostly decaf before my annual physicals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, Ted--I love coffee...but I have been cutting back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen again. Yes, I need to cut back as well. It does take its toll on you after a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent thoughts. It's good to know I am in the middle of the story right now...hmmmmm...can we skip to the end? I'd like to at least peek at teh end of the book to see which characters are still alive and how it turned out...just a peek?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dusty Chris, hey, didn't you ever hear you will ruin a story if you peak to the end....although we do have some peaks at the end in revelation so to speak--we know our destination. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i find this encouraging in this time that seems hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, I find it very encouraging too--I find it very true as I look back on past times of my life.

    ReplyDelete