Monday, May 4, 2009

Help for my anxieties--lectio devina!

Lately I have become anxious---I don't know all of the causes for this. There are different things going on in my life that can make me anxious....but I was wondering why I keep letting my heart become gripped with fear.

This week as I have been talking to friends and reading a book on "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller, I have realized some of the causes for this grip of anxiety taking over my heart.

First of all in my prayer life I stopped praying with and through scripture. Paul Miller says this was a habit called lectio divina which was developed by the early church. "By praying slowly through a portion of Scripture, I was allowing Scripture to shape my heart."

I used to do this every day. I used to write Scripture on 4 by 6 index cards that came in a spiral binding. I would write the Word of God that spoke to me in my devotions, or perhaps that I heard preached, or taught and then I would pray slowly over the verses. Beth Moore has a book that gives some guidance and practice in this area. ANYWAYS I now realize I need to get back to this practice.

Secondly I have seen my need to drop being cynical--(which sometimes happens--and I pull away with a stoic attitude), and to be like a Child. I like what Miller says on this when he discusses how he was praying through Psalm 23 --"Both the child and the cynic walk through the valley of the shadow of death. The cynic focuses on the darkness; the child focuses on the Shepherd." I have been focusing on the darkness, and not the Shepherd. I know, when I reflect on past trials that have been very difficult trials, there is the time when the Shepherd's presence is so powerful that as Miller says , the cynicism simply vanishes.

So right now---I need to work on praying through Scripture. I need to become more childlike. And last of all I need to be super frequent in my prayers as soon as I realize I am becoming anxious.

Last of all--spending time with my fellow acountability friends really helped to restore my peace! Thank the Lord for Christian fellowship.

9 comments:

  1. I think it is a lifetime struggle. There are just so many distractions in this world. Sounds to me like you are getting back on the right track.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote about Ps 23. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts. I think many of us are anxious, and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of our pastors, Sharon (her husband Jack is our other pastor) gave a message on lectio divina recently that was helpful- here.

    But all you say would be good. I have to be in the word all the time, and reading helps me. But just learning to abide so to speak, as in being at home in Christ and Christ in me- something I'm working at growing in.

    Your thought on fellowship is good. We all need to think of and do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted, I listened to that message on lectio divina--it was good. I find I do a lot of reading of the Word and reading of books about the Word but I need to slow down and pray over it and meditate on it. Sharon's advice was good. Jack's sermon on the food table applied to this too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I just came back to let you know I have nominated you for the Golden Heart Award. You can pick it up at my At Home in Scottsdale blog.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again. You asked me if I have two blogs. Actually I have 3 and a half. I guess I got a little carried away. lol
    I have the At Home in Scottsdale, and Dolls Dolls Dolls blogs which are blogger blogs and then I have the Charlotte's Weblog which is a WordPress blog. Besides that Ginger of Enchanting Cottage and I do the Spiritual Sundays blog together. I do keep pretty busy blogging. ha.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. Timely post. Needed by all of us. One of my biggest problems is being cynical. I grew up in a very critical home. I have struggled with this all my life. Hopefully I am getting better. It's not this one thing I have learned. For me, it's this one thing I am LEARNING.

    ReplyDelete