Monday, December 31, 2007

Reading--Under the Tuscan Sun

The above pic has nothing to do with what I am reading--I just love this pic I took this past weekend (read on the posts listed below).....

But I have started reading Under the Tuscan Sun and I am enjoying it. I think what she says about moving to another place is true: "You have to churn somewhat when the roof covering your head is at stake, since to sell is to walk away from a cluster of memories and to buy is to choose where the future will take place. And the place, never neutral of course, will cast its influence." I find that just visiting a place also does this to me. When I visit old cemeteries, churches, homes, towns, etc I see life from a different perspective. It always reinforces the brevity of my own life and the connectedness we have with those in the past---gives me a different concept of time, and eternity.

I also like this quote: "But I keep remembering that anytime I've stepped in my own footprints again, I haven't felt renewed." --I guess I feel more challenged to think when I step out into a new area---or read a new book----it is kind of like stepping out of my own footsteps. However it is also neat to find something that expresses where I am stepping and where I am in my life!!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the movie Under The Tuscan Sun. I need to put it in my favorit movies because it was so good.
    I hope that you and our family have a safe and happy new year.
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog! Sorry to be late, we just returned home.

    I saw the Under the Tuscan Sun movie and loved it, haven't read the book yet.

    Enjoyed seeing the towns around Charleston, I'll have to remember those the next time we go there.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard that quote but that is so true! Something deep to think about. That picture you took is quite beautiful. Nice shot.
    Stop by my blog- I left you an award!

    ReplyDelete