Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Love Dare etc


(my paragraph setting is not working tonight!) Both of these books are very helpful and convicting. The Love Dare, I thought would be simplistic, and really it is simple.....BUT the hard part is practicing it. For example on day one it tells you ....."For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, chose not to say anything." On Day TWO it says "In addition to saying nothing negative to your spouse again today, do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness."
Well you may think, I don't have a problem with negative sayings. However when you resolve to focus on all you are saying in the day.....you become aware....much more aware then normal on what you are saying and how you are communicating negative things. So I like this Dare book--it puts in in a fun way, since it dares you to try such an such today!!
The second book has been very helpful too---both make me aware of my shortcomings (sin) and areas I need work on. They both demonstrate the need to work on me, myself, and I. They are good to read and think on together.
Other books I have recently read focus on the mentoring of an older adult with a younger adult. I have read 2 that dealt with this and am reading a third. One was an audio book (I think it was called Father John). Then the book called, I'm Proud of You, my friendship with Fred Rogers, by Tim Madigan. The third one is called - Over Salad and Hot Bread, by Mary Jenson. All of these books focus on how one older adult helped a younger adult. These are inspiring.....I love to see the wisdom and examples of older adults.


3 comments:

  1. That challenge sounds like a wonderful idea. Just this morning I was thinking that I used to always describe my self as an optomistic person and I think I am turning into a pestimistic person. Yuck! I want to be positive and encouraging and not a complainer. That is a great challenge that I will try today to not say anything negative around not only my husband, but my kids and my co-workers.

    Have a great week!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get reading. So many things to read! I have most of those books now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your books and your thoughts. Don't you just love to read? There is nothing better than an inspirational book that changes your life for the better and that is a blessing indeed!

    ReplyDelete