Saturday, March 10, 2012

flooring problems and choices

Photobucket

When we downsized to a condo we inherited some flooring problems. This bathroom has rusty type stains.
Photobucket
It has some gray stains and also several large slits. We have covered them all with scattered rugs. Nothing removes the stains because they are coming from underneath the flooring.
Photobucket
Then there is this porch rug--it is stained all along the window area because of condensation which occurs in the winter.


Photobucket
Last of all is the kitchen flooring.
Photobucket
This flooring has 3 large slits which we have covered with a little rug--not shown in these pictures. It also has tons of tiny slits which I have painted in and sealed with future.
Photobucket
There are so many choices in the tiles--I believe we will go with ceramic tile although we were tempted by permastone which is a vinyl type tile with ceramic in it. However I read too many complaints with kind. People had trouble with it not holding up and the manufacturer not honoring the warranty.PhotobucketSo this is one we are considering for the bathroom and for the kitchen and dining area.Photobucket
The trim would actually be used between the kitchen and dining rooms since we don't want to spend all of our money at one time!!  We will do a little border at the edge of the kitchen and leave the carpet in the dining area for now. I just placed some of the tiling around it to see how it went--this is just placed there to get a look at the colors.


I am not sure I will like the tile, because of its hardness--but I guess I will get used to it?! My daughter has tile 
and I think we all like it ;-).


Hope ya'll have a nice weekend. I give thanks for all the people in our lives who take the time to discuss things with us, for old Agatha Christie movies on youtube, and for bedtime!

11 comments:

  1. Nannykim, I love the tile you have picked out! Post about how it goes since I was just thinking about having tile put in my kitchen and gathering room next year. Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that tile, it is basic, and the border is just great. Just get some soft really fluffy rugs in front of your kitchen sink, in the bath where you would stand for longer periods to take the "hardness" feeling away. Soft and thick rugs, I should have said. In our townhouse we had tile in our baths and I found such great bath mats that were nice and thick at Bed, Bath and Beyond that worked beautifully and I go barefoot (then and now, always) at home unless its really cold outside. I never minded the hardness of tile. Just watch any water spills on the tile because of the slippery element. Sometimes with lighting you cannot readily see water on tile and from experience I know how slippery it can be. I bet you will love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynn, Your blog has no place to comment tonight.

      Delete
  3. Looks great and I love the trim. I second the suggestion of rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the chosen tile. Plese show us the finished results. Happy Sunday
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flooring is always a pain. We have stone in our kitchen, and I loved it! We got it after a flood, so we ha to get the hardwoods ripped out. I do think that you need to make sure the underlying problems are fixed first, though. I think the tile you have picked out is very pretty, and I think you will enjoy it.

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you've chosen, it should make the rooms look wonderful!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ceramic tile is very pretty. If you are going to have that in the kitchen, perhaps you can find a memory foam rug to go on the floor where you spend the most time. I found one here that is just heaven to stand on.
    Have a good Lord's Day.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your choice is perfect. I love the idea of a stone border. I don't have any tile but my daughter does and it's a cinch to clean. Good luck. This is a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your choice is perfect. I love the idea of a stone border. I don't have any tile but my daughter does and it's a cinch to clean. Good luck. This is a huge project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your choice is great ! I hope it works out ! I love to watch Agatha Christie movies , too!

    ReplyDelete