Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Drinking vessels---a quote from Simple Pleasures and J.B. Priestley

"I firmly believe that the pleasure you get from a refreshing liquid--whether it's coffee, hot chocolate, or juice--depends as much on the vessel you drink from as it does on the drink itself. My coffee mug has to look pretty, and it has to be light while having enough substance that it won't break in my hand. The most important thing is how the rim feels on my lips. If it feels rough or thick, that mug is down for the count and won't get used.

"I make a point of using my best fancy glasses for everyday events. I just pretend I'm a very special visitor at my own table. It's such a pleasure to have my morning juice in an elegant crystal stem glass instead of the old jam jar.

"We plan, we toil, we suffer--in the hope of what? A camel-load of idol's eyes? The title deeds to Radio City? The empire of Asia? A trip to the moon? No, no, no, no. Simply to wake up just in time to smell the coffee and bacon and eggs. And, again I cry, how rarely it happens! But when it does happen---then what a moment, what a morning, what a delight!"

ON A VISIT YESTURDAY TO EOWYN'S SPIDER ABODE I HAD THE PLEASURE OF A WONDERFUL FULL BODIED BREW OF ESPRESSO. I DRANK IT FROM A POTTERY TYPE CUP AND ENJOYED IT BECAUSE I, UNLIKE THE ABOVE QUOTE, AT TIMES LIKE A THICK RIM--ESPECIALLY FOR A FULL BODIED DRINK. BUT I LOVE DIFFERENT CUPS BECAUSE THEY GIVE YOU DIFFERENT FEELINGS. I LOVE GLASS TEA AND COFFEE MUGS BECAUSE I LIKE TO SEE THE COLORS---IE , FOR TEA THE NEAT AMBER COLOR OR THE RICH DARK COLOR , OR GREEN COLOR DEPENDING ON THE BLEND! SOMETIMES I ENJOY LIGHT MUGS, SOMETIMES HEAVY MUGS, SOMETIMES ROUND RIMS, SOMETIMES WEIRD SHAPED RIMS. VARIETY IS SO ENJOYABLE WHEN IT COMES TO DRINKS; BUT NOT WHEN IT COMES TO POINSONOUS SPIDERS AT EOWYN'S!

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute! The quote is very true; I'll try to remember that next time I sit down for a drink :)

    ReplyDelete