Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Crazy love and two movies recommendations


I just finished reading Crazy love by Francis Chan. The book makes you think. If any of you out there have read it, I would love your opinon on it and if it changed the way you live in any way. He does really challenge us to live out our faith. Here are a few quotes:


"The point is that there is another path, an alternative to the individualism, selfishness, and materializm of the American Dream (even the so-called Christian version).

He gives a ton of scripture on what it means to be luke-warm and it makes you take a hard look at your life. His focus is on knowing the Great and Awesome God and loving as He does. Pouring ourselves , our time, money etc out for others.
Then 2 movies added to these thoughts.


I just finished watching Karol: A man who became Pope . This is a gorgeous movie. The photography, the music, and the message is so moving. It is long--we watched it over two days. The acters are polish and they are good (they do have an accent It is graphic as far as the suffering. It is about Pope John Paul II life up until he became pope. It really strikes your heart. It shows the suffering he (and Poland) and the Jews went through and how he reacted to what he was going through and how his testimony of living touched and worked faith in the lives around him. It is worth watching until the very end and is time worth spent and will have an impact on your thinking about what it means to love as Christ loves.


The other one we watched is also available in book form. When I was younger I read the bibography of Gladys Aylward who was a missionary to China. I watched the movie about her life this week--The Inn of the Sixth Happiness staring Ingrid Bergman . It really is an amazing story....actually had me crying in a few places...but there is humor too. When you get done watching it from Netflix then go online to read about her. Almost all of the movie is true. It is an amazing story! I am going to reread the Biography (the small woman).
In all of these things there was love lived out in such a way that it had dramatic impacts on those around them.


The one on the pope can be found here too(it is over 3 hours)



Here BELOW are some scenes from the Inn of the Sixth Happiness-- it has a spoiler in it-SO dont watch it past the 6 minute mark!-



The one on the Pope is worth watching on your television with netflix --beautiful scenes and music too.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I just popped over to say "hi" and see what you were up to...The books sound great and so does the movie...I'll look it up on Netflix.

    Have you seen "Fireproof?" It is so good. You would love it.

    I created a post the other day to send people to your blog to view the beautiful dance video...I don't know if you saw I put a special comment on there...I was hoping more people could visit you and see it!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI KIM, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SWEET COMMENT ON MY BLOG! MY PRAYERS WILL WITH YOUR SON, I KNOW THE LOVE OF A MOTHER IS VERY POWERFUL, BUT THE LOVE FROM OUR FATHER IS EVEN STRONGER! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!
    MARCIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking read and movies
    I watched some (o:
    I an sure I have seen the Inn... before, but should watch it again.
    My Daughter was in Afghanistan for two years and a son was in Ecuador for a year.
    Life changing (o:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the movie and book suggestions! I'll love for these.
    Cindy was right, "Fireproof" is really good, too. It is set in modern times and could be your neighbor. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds really good. I'm always looking for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim,
    How are you doing? Great, I hope!

    The Link thing doesn't go into affect until midnight tonight...I just posted it early because I had to go to a meeting...so, it will be working then!

    Can't wait to see what you post.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim
    I remember watching that movie years agog it again. Our daughter just finished reading Crazy Love with her bible study group and she said it was great.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim! I got the book last night--Crazy Love. I'll share when I read it. Love it so far.

    My son was given Forgotten God by a friend of mine but he has not read it. God knows the timings of everything. Pray for that.

    Thanks for stopping by today. The blog-hop party is on throughout this whole week. Thanks for mentioning it because I had forgotten to include the dates.

    I smiled when I read that the colors at the store reminded you of me. That is so funny because I was so thinking of you last night as I was purchasing the book. Love you my sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay Kim, I edited a couple of things over at my minister or preach post and maybe now it will be a little clearer. Not so much that we cannot minister where we haven't been but that we cannot minister as well where we haven't been broken. Love you sis. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kim, so glad you came by my blog and thanks so much for your concern. Praying that your son will return soon and safely!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book sounds very interesting - may just have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete